Sunday, September 9, 2012

I teach math; that's my job; I have no other responsibilities.... (New Blogger Initiation Post 4)

So this week, for the new blogger initiative, I'm just going to post whatever I want! Boosh. 

I'm a math teacher, this is true. I'm also a new math teacher. I'm finding that my job is about 80% teaching math and 20% things that I have no real business doing. 

Like announcing the freshmen and JV football games. Don't get me wrong. I volunteered for that opportunity. I think it'll be a great way to become part of the community at my school. I've done two games thus far and I'm pretty much loving it. Yes, it requires one of my nights every week. And I need those nights these first few weeks to get my feet under me. But it's fun to get up in that booth and watch my students pushing hard to get some work done. It's even exciting every once in a while. 

All that said, I've never announced any sporting event. I'm not very good at it. I'm slowly learning how to keep track of all the players on the field, forcing myself to associate names with numbers. I make jokes with the other faculty in the booth. We shoot each other puzzled looks when the officials huddle after every play. It's a good time. 

In short, it is turning out to be exactly what I was hoping for: a good way to inch my way into my school's community. 

2 comments:

  1. I recently became a tutor - not my dream job though - but I think I have a few things to learn from your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Keep it going on and best of luck.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you're leaving something that requires a reply, I'll get to it as promptly as I can. Have a good one!