Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Favorite Math Quote (New Blogger Initiation Post 3)

Today on New Blogger Initiation:

Is there a quotation about mathematics that you like? If so, what it is and why do you like it?

My favorite math quote comes from Galileo, 


"Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe" 

I love this quote because it totally fits the way I think. Everything I see/hear/experience, I do so in the language of mathematics. The fact that math is a language (i.e. a way to communicate any idea) is something that I try to emphasize to my students. It's important that they come to understand math as a way of talking about things that would otherwise be very cumbersome and/or imprecise to talk about. 

That's all for today! 

1 comment:

  1. My favorite Math Quote is "A mathematician who is not also something of a poet will never be a complete mathematician." -- Karl Weierstrass

    I truly believe Math is like poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you're leaving something that requires a reply, I'll get to it as promptly as I can. Have a good one!